Acceptable Use Policy
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms between you and us under which you may use your services. This acceptable use policy applies to our shared web hosting.
Your use of our site means that you accept, and agree to abide by, all the policies in this acceptable use policy, which supplement our terms of service.
You may use your hosting services only for lawful purposes. You may not use your services:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation, including copyright or other intellectual property law.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- For using your services in a way intended to harm our network, its reputation, or the reputation of our company.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To transmit knowingly any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
The shared hosting services offered by HippoHost comprise the provision of web space on our servers, enabling you to upload website pages and files for the purpose of website publishing.
The shared hosting services offered by HippoHost may be offered on an ‘unlimited’ basis in terms of server storage, or bandwidth for normal routine ‘non-file-distribution’ web usage. For websites that allow the downloading of excessive video or audio files we reserve the right to impose a limit of ten (10) GB total per account.
In your use of our shared hosting services, you may not:
- use more than 10% of our platform’s processing capacity. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems, including (but not limited to) CGI scripts and intensive FTP, PHP or HTTP operations.
- run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes or any daemons; including (but not limited to) IRCd.
- run any type of web spider or indexer.
- run any software that interfaces with an Internet Relay Chat network.
- run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrent files off-site, but may not host or store them on our servers.
- participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities.
- run any gaming servers or gaming related facilities (unless web-based).
- run entries or other scheduled tasks other than by configuring them through our control panel.
- give away web space under a domain.
- operate a proxy website or service.
- as a remote file host for other websites.
- operate self-hosted file sync or similar “cloud storage” based services including (but not limited to) OwnCloud, Pydio and Sparkleshare.
- run any news / article based blogs or websites which generate content through the use of bots.
You must not use the Hosting Services as a backup facility. Therefore, all files uploaded to our servers as part of your usage of the hosting services must be visible and accessible to the outside world (web-visible) unless they are needed to operate the website of which they form part; We reserve the right to delete files or directories that fall within any of these terms without giving notice to you.
Whilst it looks like a lot, if you are not intentionally abusing our services, it's unlikely you will run foul of these limitations.
Addon domains are intended to be used to host websites under your direct ownership - they are not to be used as reseller plans.
We reserve the right to withdraw support or suspend the service where such plans are used to effectively resell our hosting services to multiple customers (whether you charge them or not).
Changes to the acceptable use policy
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you.